Grab An Opportunity

Open Work Permit

We provide comprehensive assistance at every stage of the process to ensure the proper submission of documents for your visa application. Get in touch with us now!

A work permit is an official authorization granted by a Canadian officer to individuals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, allowing them to work in Canada. It is essential for employment within Canada, irrespective of whether the employer is based in the country. Most foreign nationals must apply for and obtain a work permit before commencing work in Canada.

Work permits come in two types: Open Work Permit (OWP) and Employer-Specific Work Permit.

The Open Work Permit allows you to work for almost any employer throughout Canada without restrictions unless otherwise specified. It is issued to foreign workers eligible under various categories, such as Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), Live-in Caregiver, Spousal/Common Law Open Work Permit, and Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). Each category has specific requirements and eligibility criteria.

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • Are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
  • Are a student who can no longer afford the costs of your studies (destitute student).
  • Hold an employer-specific work permit and are experiencing abuse or at risk of abuse in relation to your job in Canada.
  • Have applied for permanent residence in Canada.
  • Are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence.
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant in the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.
  • Are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person, or their family member.
  • Are under an unenforceable removal order.
  • Hold a temporary resident permit.
  • Are a young worker participating in special programs.

Requirements for All Applicants:

Regardless of where you apply or the type of work permit sought, you must:

  • Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires.
  • Demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family during your stay in Canada and for your return.
  • Adhere to the law and have no record of criminal activity (a police clearance certificate may be required).
  • Not pose a danger to Canada’s security.
  • Be in good health and undergo a medical exam if needed.
  • Not plan to work for an employer listed as “ineligible” due to failure to comply with conditions.
  • Not plan to work for an employer regularly offering services such as striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic massages.
  • Provide any other documents requested by the officer to prove your eligibility for entry.

Requirements if Applying from Inside Canada:

You can only apply for a work permit from within Canada if you meet specific criteria, such as holding a valid study or work permit, having graduated from an eligible Canadian institution, waiting on a decision for permanent residence, or being recognized as a refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.